Penzance, Newlyn and Mousehole Day 10

Signpost along the way.

 Dear readers, a picture blog today. I booked us into a boutique hotel in Penzance for a couple of nights, so I am not spending a lot of time writing today, I will give you some pictures to look at instead. 

This morning I walked from Penzance to Mousehole, (3 1/2 miles) and then took the bus back.  The walk to Newlyn was easy, along a lovely wide promenade right by the bay. I found this interesting sign stating that Penzance is the first to be awarded Plastic Free status by Surfers Against Sewage, a cause I support as a user of the sea, if not a surfer.



For navigators out there, Newlyn is where chart datum is measured for all UK charts

The next bit of the walk to Mousehole wasn't so good as it was mainly along a busy road with a narrow pavement that sometimes ended! 

Pretty Mousehole Harbour

.Mousehole is a small quant little village at the far end of the bay.

Just before Mousehole is Penlee Point, where there has been a lifeboat station from 1913 to 1983. On 19 December 1981 a  tragedy struck when the lifeboat was lost at sea with all hands in a terrible storm. If you want to know more there is lots of info on the internet and a radio 4 podcast on the disaster. There is a charming tiny garden of remembrance next to the lifeboat station, which I found very moving.

Penlee Lifeboat information board outside the old station

At the beginning of the walk I discovered the Lido, opened in the 1930s , this is a triangular art deco  sea water swimming pool heated to 2 degrees above the sea temperature, so today it was a pleasant 18C. Uniquely there is also a geothermal pool of natural salt water heated to 35C  by a hot water well.  After my walk I had a swim in both pools, heaven!

See some pictures of the Lido at the end of this blog, and then I will say goodbye for now until tomorrow.


Flags flying outside the amazing art deco Penzance Lido.

The Lido, the swimming pool is on the left, the geothermal pool to the right. I sampled both!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day one and two of the Caledonian Canal - the adventure continues

Day 48 and the return to our home port of Ramsgate.

Day 47 Eastbourne Sovereign Harbour to Dover